Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Freedom, agility and unlimited exposure to the great outdoors are major factors that make motorcycles appealing to many riders in South Carolina and across the country. Unfortunately, the excitement of riding a motorcycle comes with serious safety costs – particularly when other motorists don’t respect motorcyclists’ rights. Because motorcycles do not have a steel roof and sides surrounding passengers, and because other vehicles are considerably heavier, motorcyclists often face more serious, life-threatening injuries.
Injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident can be emotionally and financially costly. You might also be so injured you can’t work and earn a living to support your family and yourself. The Louthian Law Firm can help you recover the damages you deserve if you have been injured in a motorcycle accident.
If you or someone you care about has been seriously hurt in a motorcycle crash that someone else caused, you are entitled to hold the careless person responsible in a court of law. Contact the Louthian Law Firm in Columbia today toll free at (803) 454-1200 for a free evaluation of your case. You can also fill out our online contact form.
Types of Motorcycle Accident Injuries
A motorcyclist involved in a wreck may sustain injuries that include:
- Traumatic brain injury – A motorcycle accident can cause a blow, bump or jolt to the head that results in a traumatic brain injury (TBI). This injury may alter or diminish the injured person’s state of consciousness. It may also impair cognitive abilities or physical functions. The injury can also change the injured person’s behavioral or emotional state. TBI victims often require expensive therapy and attendant care. While helmets can reduce the likelihood and severity of TBI and other injuries, South Carolina does not require most riders to wear helmets. Even if a motorcyclist was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident, the negligent party could still be held liable for all resulting injuries.
- Spine and neck injuries – Accidents can cause fractures and compression of the vertebrae in the spine. This can damage nerve cells that carry signals up and down the spinal cord between the brain and the rest of the body. Spinal injuries can result in paraplegia or quadriplegia. Sometimes people can recover from these injuries with rehabilitation, treatments and therapy, while other patients suffer permanent paralysis.
- Lower extremity injuries – Damage to the legs, pelvis and ankles are among the most common types of injuries in motorcycle accidents, according to a NHTSA study. In some cases, the injuries are so severe that limb amputation is required. Joints, such as ankles, knees and hips, are very vulnerable in motorcycle crashes.
- Internal injuries – A motorcycle accident can cause internal bleeding. Internal bleeding can have a number of sources, including fractures and trauma to organs. Internal bleeding can damage the body’s organs and lead to life-threatening blood loss. In addition to bleeding, the impact of a motorcycle accident can rupture or seriously damage important internal organs.
- Road rash – Serious abrasions often result when a motorcyclist skids along the pavement after being thrown from the motorcycle during a crash. Severe cases may cause permanent disfigurement and require surgical skin grafts.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder – Being involved in a motorcycle accident can result in devastating emotional injuries. Injured persons may suffer from post-traumatic stress disorder, an anxiety disorder that some people get after living through a terrifying event. The disorder can disrupt a person’s ability to function, especially during times of stress.
Hurt in an SC Motorcycle Accident? Contact the Louthian Law Firm Today
The Louthian Law Firm in Columbia has represented motorcycle crash victims and other injured South Carolinians since 1959. We understand that our clients are often at a difficult point in their lives when they come to us. We can help our clients recover full and fair compensation for the injuries they suffered in a serious motorcycle crash.
For a free evaluation of your case, call us today toll free at (803) 454-1200. You can also fill out our confidential online case evaluation form. Our Columbia motorcycle accident lawyers charge no attorney’s fees unless you recover damages on your claim.