Our Lawyers Work to Protect Visitors, as if they were Neighbors
According to a report from the S.C. Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, around 28.5 million people from throughout the United States visit South Carolina each year. Another 500,000 to 850,000 people from Canada visit, and approximately 80,000 visitors come each year from overseas.
These thousands of visitors go to destinations throughout South Carolina, but many flock to popular tourist areas such as Myrtle Beach, Charleston and Hilton Head Island. Many out-of-state business travelers head to cities including Columbia, Greenville and Spartanburg.
If you or a loved one has been hurt in a car wreck in Myrtle Beach or anywhere else in South Carolina, you should consult with an experienced South Carolina car accident lawyer. Regardless of where you are from, having a local attorney is the best way to enforce your legal rights after a car accident in South Carolina.
What to Do If You Are Involved in a South Carolina Car Accident
If you get into a car wreck while visiting South Carolina, you have certain legal rights. If someone else was responsible for causing the crash, they could be held legally liable for your losses. That is true whether the person who hurt you was a resident of South Carolina or from somewhere else.
It can be difficult to enforce your legal rights when you live out of state. If you want to make a claim against the responsible driver, you’ll have to file a personal injury lawsuit in a local South Carolina court. You cannot return to your home state and file a lawsuit there. Legal rules mandate that, in almost all cases, the case has to take place in the state where the accident happened.
Why You Need a Local Lawyer
It is important that you hire a local lawyer, as opposed to a lawyer from your home state. Some reasons include:
- You need a local lawyer so the insurer knows you are serious about your case. When you hire a local attorney, this sends a message to the insurance company that you are serious about enforcing your rights in South Carolina. This can make it easier to negotiate a fair settlement so you don’t have to go to trial if you don’t want to.
- You need a local lawyer who has a reputation in South Carolina. The insurance company and its local representatives often know the lawyers within the state, either by reputation or because they have negotiated with them before. When you hire a local attorney at the Louthian Law Firm, the insurance companies will know that your lawyer has a strong reputation for fighting for the rights of clients.
- You need a local lawyer because a local lawyer knows the rules of the court. Every court has its own procedures and its own requirements and rules. You need an attorney who understands the South Carolina rules so you can present your motions to the court and evidence in the right way.
- You need a local lawyer because a local lawyer is allowed to practice law in the state without hassles. Attorneys have to be licensed in each state in which they wish to practice law. A lawyer from your home state likely is not licensed in South Carolina. To represent you in a local court, the attorney would need to get special permission, and there would be a number of procedural hurdles and requirements. You can avoid all of that by having a South Carolina lawyer represent you.
- You need a local lawyer to conduct a local investigation. After your car accident, you need to put together a case to prove the other driver was to blame. This means gathering evidence to show the other driver was at fault for the crash. A local lawyer can take care of that for you in the place where the accident happened.
- You need a local lawyer to help your case proceed in a timely manner. When you file a lawsuit, there are lots of pre-trial events and lots of situations where your lawyer has to go to court. A local lawyer is near the courthouse and can easily go before the judge for any of the many procedural matters leading up to the trial.
Remember, there are no restrictions on hiring a local South Carolina auto accident attorney, although there could be restrictions on hiring someone from your home state to represent you in South Carolina. Make your life easier and make sure your rights are fully protected by hiring a local professional to represent you after a South Carolina car accident.
For a free evaluation of your case, call us today toll free at (803) 454-1200. You can also fill out our confidential online case evaluation form. We do not charge attorney’s fees unless your recover damages on your claim.