Experienced Columbia Personal Injury Attorneys: Helping Injured South Carolinians since 1959
Columbia, South Carolina, founded in 1786, holds the key to more than 200 years of the Palmetto State’s history and proud heritage of the Columbia Riverbanks region. Named for Christopher Columbus, SC’s capital city was among the nation’s first planned cities. Columbia serves as the seat of Richland County; however, a small portion of the city’s boundaries extends into Lexington County. As the primary city of SC’s Midlands region, Columbia enjoys a centralized location, with all the benefits of a steadily expanding metropolitan area. At the time of the 2000 Census Columbia reported a population of 116,278.
The judicial system in South Carolina is a diverse mix of trial and appellate courts:
- The Supreme Court is composed of a Chief Justice and four Associate Justices who are elected to a term of ten years by the General Assembly.
- The Court of Appeals, SC’s newest court, hears most types of appeals from the Circuit Court and the Family Court.
- The Circuit Court has jurisdiction on all civil matters, which includes most personal injury claims.
- The Municipal Court and Magistrate Court systems handle small claims, traffic violations, preliminary hearings, and misdemeanors.
- The Family Court system handles domestic cases, juvenile offenses and juvenile traffic violations.
- Probate Court handles estate and mental health matters. The Circuit Court and Magistrate Court generally determine cases involving credit and collections.
- The prosecutorial system is made up of the circuit solicitors and the Attorney General’s Office.
The University of South Carolina flagship campus, located in Columbia, began as South Carolina College in 1801. Today USC has more than 27,000 students studying in the facility’s 350 outstanding degree programs. Other higher learning facilities in Columbia include Allen University, Benedict College, Columbia College, Columbia International University, Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary and Midlands Technical College. Students at the primary and secondary levels have access to an impressive selection of public and private schools.
Columbia’s diverse commercial-industrial base includes leading employers such as Blue Cross Blue Shield of SC, Palmetto Health, SC State Government, USC, and Fort Jackson, the U.S. Army’s largest training base. Fourteen Fortune 500 companies and more than 70 foreign affiliated business firms also contribute to Columbia’s solid economic status. Columbia boasts numerous awards consistently proclaiming its dynamic job market. In 2007, Forbes ranked Columbia 35th on its “Best Places for Business and Careers” list, and Expansion Management named Columbia one of America’s hottest cities for corporate expansion and relocation.
Located at the confluence of two major rivers, Columbia, SC is one of the region’s most popular destinations for outdoor recreation. Outdoor enthusiasts have access to boating and fishing on Lake Murray, canoeing, kayaking, and rafting the area’s three rivers, and more than 100 local, regional and state parks. Columbia also offers visitors an impressive array of cultural opportunities, including a diverse arts community, a nationally acclaimed zoo and numerous museums such as the Columbia Museum of Art and the EdVenture Children’s Museum. Sports fans can enjoy several golf courses, college and semi pro sporting events. The nearby Finlay Park has something for everyone.
Louthian Law Office does not endorse any of the businesses below, but provides them solely for informational purposes. If you would like to have your accident related Columbia, SC business listed here, please contact via email: List my Site
- Pope-Davis Tire And Car Care Center : Pope-Davis Tire And Car Care Center is a family-owned business that has been serving Columbia since 1979. Pope-Davis focuses on quality performance and excellent customer service.
- Byrd Private Investigations: With more than 50 years of experience in civil and criminal investigation and a varied background in law enforcement, Byrd Private Investigations offers discreet, reliable service when you need information or expert testimony to bolster your case in court.
- Skip To My Lupus, Inc.: The mission is to provide comprehensive support services to people affected by Lupus and other autoimmune disorders.
Our Columbia Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in an accident or have otherwise incurred a personal injury, contact the Louthian Law Firm today for a free consultation.
Personal Injury Client Review
I have known Bert and Herb for 16 years. Their passion for their clients is unmatched. When you become a client of Louthian Law firm, you can be assured your case means as much to them as it does to you and your loved ones. They leave no stone unturned and aren’t afraid to take on tough legal challenges. Their experience in helping injured victims spans nearly 50 years. They partner WITH you to get the best results for your case. If you or a loved one has been wrongfully injured, you need to contact the Louthian Law Firm and receive the legal representation that you deserve. Eugene B. Louthian Law Firm, P.A.