Our South Carolina Community: Florence, SC
Florence, South Carolina, also called the “Magic City,” was incorporated in 1890 as a railroad terminal. Florence stakes claim to 17.7 square miles of SC’s coastal plain and remains the primary city of the eight-county northeastern region known as “Pee Dee.” This growing community lies halfway between Miami and New York City, and within an hour’s drive of Columbia, SC’s state capital.
The judicial system in South Carolina is a diverse mix of trial and appellate courts:
- The Supreme Court is composed of a Chief Justice and four Associate Justices who are elected to a term of ten years by the General Assembly.
- The Court of Appeals, SC’s newest court, hears most types of appeals from the Circuit Court and the Family Court.
- The Circuit Court has jurisdiction on all civil matters, which includes most personal injury claims.
- The Municipal Court and Magistrate Court systems handle small claims, traffic violations, preliminary hearings, and misdemeanors.
- The Family Court system handles domestic cases, juvenile offences and juvenile traffic violations.
- Probate Court handles estate and mental health matters. The Circuit Court and Magistrate Court generally determine cases involving credit and collections.
- The prosecutorial system is made up of the circuit solicitors and the Attorney General’s Office.
A centralized location, with easy access to I-20, I-95 and Florence Regional Airport, gives Florence a competitive business edge. The economy in Florence relies primarily on the biomedical and financial sectors, with companies such as Carolinas Hospital System, First Reliance Bank, and IRIX Pharmaceuticals providing jobs to the area. Additional firms located in the Florence area include BellSouth, Progress Energy, and Maytag. Florence, population 30,248 (Census 2000 data), serves as the seat and center of commerce in Florence County.
Florence affords access to the region’s natural splendor via sites such as the Florence Trail System, and the city’s numerous parks. This active community also features several golf courses and tennis courts, while NASCAR racing events are nearby at Darlington Raceway. Visitors and residents alike enjoy the live music, clubs, restaurants, and retail centers such as Magnolia Mall. Other popular destinations include Florence Little Theatre, Florence Museum of Art, Science and History, Pee Dee Farmers Market and the War Between the States Museum.
Florence, South Carolina, a 1997 All-America City finalist, holds the ideal balance of commerce and culture that continually draws visitors to the area. Stunning historic homes, outstanding schools and a full palate of recreational opportunities create an enviable quality of life.
Additional Florence South Carolina Resources
Louthian Law Office does not endorse any of the businesses below, but provides them solely for informational purposes. If you would like to have your accident related Florence, SC business listed here, please contact via email:
- AA Transmission Doctors: Since 1979, Woodard’s Automotive Maintenance & Repair, Inc. has been a friendly, professional office staff helping customers with their automotive needs.
- Fender mender: Fender Mender is a trusted, full-service auto repair and collision repair facility providing top quality auto body, paint and refinishing services for over 20 years!