Columbia SC Car Accident Lawyers
The Louthian Law Firm, P.A. is a car accident law firm in Columbia, South Carolina that works with individuals who have been hurt in automobile crashes. Car accidents can leave individuals facing devastating injuries, and these injuries can be costly to treat. You and your loved ones might be struggling to pay unexpected medical bills. Adding to this stress might be the reality that you cannot return to work or are adjusting to a life-altering disability. The aftermath of a car crash can be confusing for victims and their families. You might be making an insurance claim or seeking a settlement from an insurance company for your losses. You may be wondering whether you have the right to seek damages from negligent drivers. The car accident lawyers at the Louthian Law Firm, P.A. may be able to assist you with negotiating with insurance adjusters and seeking damages for your losses following a car accident. Contact our car wreck law firm today to learn more.
Do I Have an Auto Accident Claim?
Whether you have a car accident claim will depend on whether the other driver was at fault for your crash. Car accidents happen for many reasons. What are some factors that may result in the other driver or another person or party being held responsible for your crash?
- Texting and Driving. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, texting and driving kills over 3,000 people each year and leaves many more people injured. In the time it takes to check and read a single text message (about five seconds), a driver going 55 miles per hour could end up not looking at the road for the length of a football field. The consequences of this distraction can be immense. It is against the law to text and drive in South Carolina, but enforcement can be challenging. If you or someone you love was hurt in a car accident in Columbia, South Carolina, and you suspect that the other driver might have been texting and driving, consider reaching out to the Louthian Law Firm, P.A., an auto accident law firm today.
- Drunk Driving. According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving, every year over 10,000 people die due to drunk driving accidents. If you or someone you love was a victim of a drunk driving crash, you are not alone. You and your family might be entitled to seek damages from drunk drivers and from their insurers. The Louthian Law Firm, P.A. is an auto accident law firm in Columbia, South Carolina that may be able to assist you with seeking damages if you or someone you love was injured or killed in a drunk driving accident.
- Speed kills. Exceeding the speed limit can lead to more severe accidents, more serious injuries, and increase the risk that an accident will take place because drivers might need more time and space to stop a speeding vehicle. While drivers should obey posted speed limits, sometimes drivers may be obeying the posted speed limit, but may still be driving too fast for conditions. If you or someone you love was hurt in a speed-related crash, you may have the right to seek damages for your losses.
- Breaking the Rules of the Road. The rules of the road are in place to keep everyone safe. When drivers run stop signs, run red lights, speed, change lanes without signaling, or otherwise break the rules of the road, they can endanger everyone on the highway. If a driver broke the law while driving, and this resulted in your car accident, you and your family might be entitled to seek damages for your medical costs, lost wages, and pain and suffering damages, among other losses. Reach out to the car accident lawyers at the Louthian Law Firm, P.A. in Columbia, South Carolina today.
- Reckless Driving. When a driver disregards the safety of others on the road in an overt way, the driver could face criminal charges and citations. Reckless driving can be anything from exceeding the speed limit by a large speed, engaging in road rage, drag racing, or using a vehicle in a manner that puts other’s lives at risk. Reckless driving can be prosecuted as a crime, but also families whose lives have been impacted due to the reckless actions of a driver may be able to seek damages for their losses.
- Young drivers with inexperience may be more likely to make mistakes. When you combine the inexperience of youth with distractions like the cell phone, friends in the car, or other risk-taking behavior, accidents can occur. If a teen driver caused an accident, the parents could be held financially responsible for the crash. Have questions about your rights if you were hurt by a teen driver? The Louthian Law Firm, P.A. is a Columbia, South Carolina car wreck law firm that may be able to assist you.
- Failed Equipment. When drivers fail to properly maintain their vehicles, accidents can happen. Blown tires, failed brakes, and other equipment malfunctions can lead to accidents. If another driver lost control of his or her vehicle because of an equipment malfunction, you and your family might be entitled to seek damages for your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. If a vehicle defect resulted in a vehicle malfunction, you and your family may be entitled to seek damages from the vehicle manufacturer.
- Poor Road Conditions. Construction companies have a responsibility to warn drivers about hazards that poor road conditions can pose. Cities and states have a responsibility to maintain roads. When road aren’t properly maintained, road debris and uneven road surfaces can lead to accidents and injuries for drivers and their passengers. If you or someone you love was hurt due to poor road conditions, the Columbia, South Carolina auto accident attorneys at the Louthian Law Firm, P.A. may be able to assist you.
Determining the factors that resulted in a car wreck in Columbia, South Carolina can be complex. The auto accident attorneys at the Louthian Law Firm, P.A. in Columbia, South Carolina may be able to assist you. Our firm can review the circumstances leading up to your crash, identify negligent parties, and fight to help you seek the settlement you may deserve under the law.
Steps You Can Take After a Car Accident In Columbia, South Carolina
What steps can you take after a car accident to protect your rights and get the help you need? In the aftermath of a crash, you might be confused, stressed, and adrenaline may be pumping, which can make it tough to know what to do next. Here are some things you can do:
- Call the Police. You may be required to file a police report under the law if another person was injured or killed in the accident. Even if there were no apparent injuries, you may still want to file a police report. If you need to make a claim with insurance, your insurance company may ask to look at your police report. Police can also investigate the case to determine if one driver was at fault.
- Make Sure Others are Safe and Seek Medical Care. If someone is hurt at the scene of a crash, you are required to get help, call the police, and seek medical attention. If you have been hurt, seek medical attention and follow the instructions of your doctor. Sometimes it might be wise to follow up with a medical professional after any crash to make sure there are no hidden injuries that need to be addressed.
- Exchange Contact Information. Write down the name and contact information of the other driver. Exchange insurance information. Write down the other car’s license plate number, color, make, and model.
- Take Photos, if You Can. Photographic evidence could prove useful if you need to make a claim.
- Contact Your Insurance Company. Even if you think you won’t need to make a claim, it still might be a good idea to contact your insurance company to tell them an accident has taken place. If you do need to make a claim, you may want to follow up with adjusters in writing.
- Contact a Columbia, South Carolina car accident attorney. If you have questions about your insurance claim, have questions about negligence surrounding your crash, or if you or someone you love was seriously injured in a car accident, a car accident lawyer may be able to assist you with various steps of the claim process. While an auto accident lawyer may not be needed for a minor accident or following an accident where the auto insurance claim might be minor, you may want to speak to a car wreck lawyer if your injuries are serious, if you are having trouble getting the settlement you think you deserve, or if you have other questions about your wreck.
The Louthian Law Firm, P.A. is an auto accident law firm in Columbia, South Carolina that may be able to assist you with your claim. Whether you need help negotiating with insurance adjusters to get the settlement you believe you deserve, or need help making a claim from negligent parties, our auto accident attorneys may be able to help. You may only have a limited amount of time to pursue a claim under the law. Reach out to a car wreck law firm today to learn more about your options and rights.