Our South Carolina Community: Rock Hill, SCRock Hill, South Carolina is a progressive, thriving city with small-town southern ambience and charm. Covering 34 square miles at the state border, Rock Hill is SC’s only major city in the rapidly growing Charlotte Metropolitan Area. Rock Hill lies only 20 miles south of Charlotte and reported a population of 49,765 in the Census 2000, with a 2006 estimate of more than 61,000.
The judicial system in South Carolina is a diverse mix of trial and appellate courts:
- The Supreme Court is composed of a Chief Justice and four Associate Justices who are elected to a term of ten years by the General Assembly.
- The Court of Appeals, SC’s newest court, hears most types of appeals from the Circuit Court and the Family Court.
- The Circuit Court has jurisdiction on all civil matters, which includes most personal injury claims.
- The Municipal Court and Magistrate Court systems handle small claims, traffic violations, preliminary hearings, and misdemeanors.
- The Family Court system handles domestic cases, juvenile offences and juvenile traffic violations.
- Probate Court handles estate and mental health matters. The Circuit Court and Magistrate Court generally determine cases involving credit and collections.
- The prosecutorial system is made up of the circuit solicitors and the Attorney General’s Office.
Rock Hill’s strategic business location along the Interstate 77 corridor provides quick and easy access to Charlotte and Raleigh, as well as the SC capital city of Columbia. The Rock Hill / York County Airport provides excellent air service without the congestion of nearby Charlotte International Airport, and is capable of handling corporate jets. Rock Hill began life as a railroad town in 1852, and the CSX and Norfolk Southern Railways still run here.
Rock Hill, SC’s youthful atmosphere is due to its three major institutes of higher learning: York Technical College, Winthrop University, and Clinton Junior College. Younger students attend Rock Hill SC district 3 or may choose from six excellent private schools.